Free Association! Free Expression! Free Information!
The Right2Know Campaign calls on all friend and comrades to organise actions during “Freedom Week 2016” – 27 April (Freedom Day) to 3 May (World Press Freedom Day). Together we can defend the political space we all need to advance our struggles for social, economic, and environmental justice in the context of growing social instability and repression.
We’re calling on you and your organisations to plan actions highlighting freedom of assembly and association, the free flow of information, and the freedom of expression.
Here’s what you can do:
- Hold an Event: Host a public event between Wednesday 27 April and Tuesday 3 May to raise awareness of the various challenges facing our democracy. This could be a public meeting, or a film screening, a house meeting. Let us know if you would like R2K to assist getting a speaker for your event.
- Organise a picket or go pamphleteering: Set up a information table at your local shopping centre or distribute pamphlets at your local train station or taxi rank. Let us know if you want to use any of of R2K’s publications.
- Screen a Film: You could to screen a film to kickstart a discussion or raise awareness of an issue. Consider screening Crumbs or Miners Shot Down, or check a list of R2K-related films and documentaries here. Contact us to get copies of the films.
- Get in Touch: Send details of your action (including a title, date, time, venue, contact details, and brief description) to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 014471000 before Wednesday 20 April so that your action can be included in the main Freedom Week programme that R2K will promote.
- Stay Informed: Join the Facebook event for updates. A list of events will be published atwww.r2k.org.za/freedomweek2016.