The Right2Know (R2K) is looking for a talented campaigner to organise our campaigns for the ‘Right to Communicate’, to advocate media and internet freedom, media transformation, and access to telecommunications.
From #hlaudimustgo to #datamustfall, this is an opportunity to work with committed activists around the country to support popular campaigns that have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
Ideally this person should have a grasp of a range of issues related to communication rights including:
- Freedom of expression, including online and media freedom;
- The state of South African media transformation, in particular issues relating to diversity of media ownership;
- Access to telecommunications in South Africa, in particular broadband access and the cost of data and airtime.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting activist collectives to develop and implement various advocacy campaigns;
- Monitoring relevant legislation and media coverage;
- Undertaking research and preparing briefings, statements, and policy submissions;
- Representing the Right2Know in various forums;
- Developing popular education material and training events.
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign;
- Insight into campaigning and movement-building, including experience with advocacy, popular education and mobilisation in the context of current South African social justice struggles;
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage;
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity;
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management;
- Strong computer skills essential (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, e-mail and Internet);
- A relevant tertiary qualification, multilingualism, and/or a driver’s licence would be an advantage.
We will consider candidates wanting to work from R2K offices in either Cape Town, Johannesburg or Durban.
To apply, send a cover letter and CV with contactable references to email@example.com by 12h00 on Monday 30 January 2017. Your cover letter should indicate which R2K office you would be available to work from (Gauteng, KZN or the Western Cape).
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment. For more information visit www.r2k.org.za, queries: 0214471000.
Also see the relevant reports and resolutions of R2K’s previous National Summit: http://www.r2k.org.za/summits.