The Right2Know Campaign is an umbrella group of organisations and activists campaigning to advance the free flow of information in South Africa. The Campaign wants to appoint an organiser, focusing on transparency and access to information, to support community groups, social movements, and civil society campaigns to access information needed to advance their struggles.
The successful candidate will coordinate efforts to enable participatory democracy, demanding transparency and meaningful engagement with the public and private sectors on issues ranging from challenging nuclear secrets and protecting personal information of social grant recipients, to supporting struggles for land and basic services.
This is an opportunity to work with committed activists around the country to have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support R2K activist collectives and local community groups and social movements to develop and implement strategies to force greater transparency in the public and private sector,
- Forge working partnerships between local organisations and specialised organisations within the R2K working on issues of access to information and service delivery;
- Preparing briefings, statements, formal correspondence and policy submissions for the Campaign on transparency and access-to-information issues;
- Representing the Campaign in various fora;
- Undertaking research;
- Developing popular education material and leading training events.
- A relevant tertiary qualification or at least 3 years’ relevant experience;
- Legal status to work in South Africa;
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign;
- A good understanding of issues relating to participatory democracy and access to information;
- Previous experience in advocacy, campaigning and movement building;
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage;
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management;
- Strong computer skills essential (MS Word, MS Excel, E-mail and Internet);
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity;
- Driver’s license, code 8, is essential.
We will consider candidates wanting to work from R2K offices in Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town.
To apply upload a cover letter and CV with contactable references using this form: https://tinyurl.com/R2K-InfoAccess-Application
Applications close at 12h00 on Thursday 16 November 2017.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment, For more information visit www.r2k.org.za, queries: 0214471000.
Advert online here: http://www.r2k.org.za/2017/10/18/job-ad-r2k-ati-organiser/